Monday, May 5, 2008

and politics

So most of my cohort seem to be firmly in the Obama camp. I must say, I've never felt anything for the man. All I know about him is that people say he is charismatic. I see "hope" posters in quite a few windows in my neighborhood.

So what.

Personally, I've been waiting for Hillary since Bill left office and people starting talking about her running in 96. I think her time has come, and I would oh so love to see a woman in the highest office in the land.

Now, it would be pretty cool if that woman were Nancy Pelosi, but we live in america, not just san francisco.

Hillary has incredible qualifications. My mom once said that in her day, you married the man you wanted to be. My mom wanted to be a professor, and when she married my dad, he was working on his PhD in Music. I wonder if Hillary didn't have similar thoughts when she met the up and coming Bill Clinton. Luckily, in this day and age, it isn't just about the man you marry -- although in her case, it certainly helps!

"A native of Illinois, Hillary Rodham first attracted national attention in 1969 for her remarks as the first student to deliver the commencement address at Wellesley College. She embarked on a career in law after graduating from Yale Law School in 1973. Following a stint as a Congressional legal counsel, she moved to Arkansas in 1974, and married Bill Clinton in 1975. She was later named the first female partner at Rose Law Firm in 1979, and was twice listed as one of the one hundred most influential lawyers in America."

She was a bright and successful woman before Bill. Then there was the Bill years. When he first took office, they were a partnership. She was coming out as Hillary Rodham Clinton, no first lady who did publicity stunts reading books to children, but a woman who was working hand in hand with her husband to forge a revolutionary Health Insurance program. The republicans slapper her down but good -- oh the Gingrich years, when all we democrats had to hunker down and just try to get through the waves of bullshit sweeping the country. Remember Welfare reform? All those evil, evil welfare mothers stealing our money. And then there were the impeachment trials. Bill lied about a blow job and the country was up in arms. Old Georgy-boy lied about weapons of mass destruction, 911, Osama Bin Lauden and Sadaam Hussein, and got us into the most expensive fucked up situation since vietnam, costing millions of lives...where's his impeachment hearings?

So she was forced to dull her star a bit, play background roles and tame the feminist demon. As soon as Bill was out of office, however, she was back at it, becoming a successful multi-term senator from New York. I know she has made some compromises. She is not the shining star of all things liberal. But again, this is the USA, not San Fransico. And I know her heart is in the right place. She knows how things work. She has opinions -- detailed opinions -- and an inside perspective on all of the world situations. Let's not forget that the US had much better standing with other world leaders under Bill's helm. As far as I'm concerned, we're getting the partnership back, only this time without the the silent partner having to remain silent.

Saying it that way, it seems a little scary. We have term limits for a reason. But there's something about the fucked up way the world has been aligned the last couple years that makes me want to go with knowledge and experience rather than big words. And I'd certainly rather go back to the budget surpluses of the 90's then look at the mess we're sitting in now.

Plus, I just like that she's a girl.

No comments: