Sunday, March 9, 2008

home

On Saturday night, out with Brad and Jess's friends, I felt so very comfortable. Turns out neuroscientists are really nice people. Without the aid of more than a single glass of wine (but with the help of my very cute puppy to break the ice), I easily past 6 hours at a party where I had arrived knowing only 2 people. Most of them were married couples, but there was one cute boy who I hear is unattached, and all were engaging and friendly. Brad, Jess, and I went out for Turkish food in Berkeley beforehand and had some misadventures trying to get a taxi/bus/ride home before I crashed on their pullout couch when we arrived back at 4am.

Early the next day it was off to have breakfast with Susie and her parents. I don't believe I had visited with them since Susie and I took our road trip up the coast to Seattle from LA back in 1999. Almost 10 years ago! They're really great people. Driving down to her parent's house in Morgan Hills south of San Jose, I saw a sign that said "Los Angeles 387 miles" and I got uncomfortable that I was heading in that direction. 387 miles suddenly seemed a little too close. I don't think I'm ever going to go back to that town. Probably for visits, but NEVER to live. I'm done with it. Finally.

Here, however...I got off the freeway when I passed the Stanford campus. The green rolling hills and knotty oak trees are captivating, and there was lots of bike and hiking paths and nature areas. Sake and I walked around for a bit before heading up to the city.

The tentative plan for the last couple days has been stick around the city for the next couple weeks, then spend April road tripping/in Minneapolis before coming back to SF to either sublet Ziah's apartment or another place on May 1. Now I'm suddenly just wanting to get life started here.

Outside in nature, or walking around the city streets past endless ridiculously cute buildings and little shops, I think - this could really be my home.

No comments: